Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tomato, Basil, and Cheddar Soup

I have found my favorite tomato, basil, and cheddar soup recipe thanks to Pinterest. Pinterest led me to More Fruit Please where the recipe is located. Talk about delicious!

It says the recipe below makes 6 servings, but it only makes 2 bowls (large bowls) for me & my hubby each.
You need:
2 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce (not called for in More Fruit Please, but I add it)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated (I like lots of cheese)
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
salt & peppar

Directions: Over med. heat add the olive oil to a large pot. Add the chopped onion & allow to cook until tender, about 3-4min. (I like my onions to  cook until a little brown.) Add in chopped garlic & cook for additional 2 mins. Pour in 2 cans of diced tomatoes (including the juice), the 1 can of tomato sauce if you choose & the veg. stock. Stir in the basil, oregano, sugar, and salt & pepper. Put the lid on the pot and allow soup to simmer for 10 mins. At the end, stir in the Greek yogurt & cheddar cheese until well blended.
*In the recipe from More Fruit Please, she adds- use either an immersion blender or food processor to puree the soup if you prefer a smooth texture. But... I first off don't have anything to puree my soup & I am actually glad I didn't because I like it a little more chunky.
Then garnish your soup with chopped basil & grated cheddar cheese. And enjoy!!!



1 comment:

dajana, all kinds of lovely said...

Hi Brittany!

I had no idea you had a blog, too. Looking forward to following you, lady.(:

p.s. This soup looks delicious! Any soup made with cheese is tops in my book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...